Frequently Asked Questions

Application FAQ

Who should I ask for a reference? Can I use professional references?

Every effort should be made to obtain academic references, especially if you have completed any kind of studies (full degree/diploma, individual courses for interest or upgrading, etc.) within the last few years. Academic referees should be current or past instructors (not teaching assistants) who can attest to your research and writing abilities. Academic references are preferred by the Admissions Committee, so even if you can obtain one academic reference instead of two, this will help. If any academic references are not possible, use professional reference(s).

Do I need to contact a faculty member in advance or to find my own advisor?

It is encouraged, but not required, that you contact a faculty member in advance.  However, you will need to decide on one or two areas of interest from the research areas listed to the left (follow the links to get a description of the field).   If you have had contact with a faculty member and would like to work with him/her, please indicate this in your statement.

What should I include in my statement?

The Statement of Academic Interests/Research is a key component of your application to graduate school. The Admissions Committee uses this statement to make admission recommendations, and to match students with faculty supervisors. In this statement, you should explain your interest in graduate studies in Applied Math at Western, and outline your research interests. Applicants should identify their intended research area, and if possible, outline a research project they would like to undertake. The clearer you can be about your research interests and plans, the better. Although graduate students are not required to have a faculty supervisor upon entering the program, it would be helpful in your statement if you could list faculty members with whom you would like to work, or with whom you share research interests.

How much are tuition and fees? How much funding can I expect to receive?

See our Financial Support web page. Fee Schedules are listed on the Registrar's web site.

Do you have January admissions (or at any time other than September)?

Students start at the beginning of Fall (Sept), Winter (Jan), or Summer (May) term

What is the application deadline - can I still apply?

Applications may be made at any time during the academic year, but students start at the beginning of Fall (Sept), Winter (Jan), or Summer (May) term.

Do I have to send you all of my supporting documents together in one package?

It is easier for us if you send all of your documents at once, but as long as we receive all of your documents by the application deadline, do what is easiest for you. If you are applying late or close to the application deadline, it is best to send what you have as soon as possible, even if you are missing some items, so we can begin processing your application. Send any remaining items as soon as you can.

How can I check to see if you received my documents?

Once the application deadline has passed, the Graduate Affairs Assistant will email any applicants who are missing required documents.

I forgot to include some information on my application/need to make a change.
What should I do?

Please submit any changes to your application in writing to the Graduate Affairs Assistant. You will not be able to access your OUAC application once it has been submitted and if you begin a new application, you will have to pay the application fee a second time.

I have submitted my on-line application and all of my supporting documents.
What happens now?

Once you have submitted your online application, application fee, and all required supporting documents, the Graduate Affairs Assistant compiles your application file and calculates your admission average.

PhD files are sent to faculty members whose area(s) of research interest match those of the applicant and then to the Admissions Committee; MSc application files are passed directly to the Admissions Committee. The Admissions Committee considers all relevant and applicable information including, but not limited to, grades, references, statement, and compatibility with faculty research.

The Admissions Committee makes its recommendations and nominations are sent to the School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies for final approval.

Successful applicants will receive a funding letter from the program as well as an Offer of Admission from the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Successful international students will also receive a Letter of Acceptance from the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

How will you communicate my decision/information to me?

Application decisions and all other information is communicated via email. The Graduate Affairs Assistant will send an email if, after the deadline, an applicant file is missing anything. We will use the email provided on your application initially. Those who are extended an offer of admission must activate their Western student email account in order to accept their offer of admission.  Once you begin your program, all email messages will be sent to your @uwo account.

How do I accept (or decline) my Offer of Admission?

Successful applicants must accept or decline their offer on-line. The web link and instructions will appear on your formal Offer of Admission from the School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies. Instructions are also available on the School of Graduate and Postodoctoral Studies web site.  This step is important even if you are declining the offer as it allows us to extend offers of admission to applicants on waiting lists.

Once you click to accept or decline your offer of admission, a message will appear on your screen to indicate you have successfully accepted (or declined) and this is the only confirmation you will receive. If you are unsure whether you successfully accepted your offer of admission, you can go through the process again; once you have accepted your offer it no longer appears. Therefore, if your offer still appears you did not successfully accept or decline.

General Program FAQ

How long will my degree take?

The average time to complete a MSc in our department is 1.76 years. The average time to complete a PhD is 4.27 years. These averages have been taken over approximately 50 students who have graduated in the last 5 years.

What do graduates with an MSc go on to do next?

About half of our MSc graduates go on to do a PhD, either in our own department, in other departments at UWO (Ivey Business School, Computer Science, Statistics and Actuarial Science), or at other universities.

The other half have a strong record of employment; recent examples include Vetting Analyst with a large financial group, flood control engineer, Investor at a management company, MSc in architecture, Intern at a financial management company, university lecturer, trainee Investment Broker with a capital company, and management jobs in industry.

What do graduates with a PhD go on to do next?

Over the last five years, about one third of our PhD graduates have gone on to tenure track faculty positions at other universities. About one third are currently in postdoctoral or research assistant positions. Another third are working in business and industry: examples include Senior Quantitative Analyst for an international capital company, Statistical Analyst for a large pharmaceutical company, Risk Analyst for a major bank, Research Scientist in a geograhical systems company.