Mathematical biologists in our department tackle a wide variety of research questions. The answers to the questions they ask have important implications for how laboratory science is conducted, how public-health policy is set, and how animal societies are maintained over time.
Currently, our department has active research programs modelling experimental evolution, the spread of infectious disease, species invasions, arterial blood flow, and animal behaviour. In addition, faculty members carry out research into mathematical topics such as differential equations, and dynamical systems.
- Zamir M, Nelson DM, Ginosar Y, 2018. Geometric And Hemodynamic Characterization of Uterine Spiral Arteries: The Concept of Resistance Reserve. Placenta. 68:59-64. DOI:10.1016/j.placenta.2018.06.006.
- Zamir M, Moir ME, Klassen SA, Balestrini CS, Shoemaker JK, 2018. Cerebrovascular Compliance Within the Rigid Confines of the Skull. Frontiers in Physiology. DOI:10.3389/fphys.2018.00940.
- Wahl, L.M. and Pattenden, T. (2017) "Prophage provide a safe haven for adaptive exploration in temperate viruses", Genetics, 206: 407-416.
- Nadeem, A. and Wahl, L.M. (2017) "Provirus as a genetic reservoir and its impact on the evolutionary dynamics of virus and host", Evolution.
- Y. Xiao and Zou, Can multiple Malaria species co-persist?, SIAM J Appl. Math., 73(2013), 351-371
- Kember G, Armour JA, Zamir M, 2013. Dynamic neural networking as a basis for plasticity in the control of heart rate. Journal of Theoretical Biology 317:39–46.
- McLeod, D., Wild, G. 2013. Ecological constraints influence the emergence of cooperative breeding when population dynamics determine the fitness of helpers. Evolution, in press (DOI: 10.1111/evo.12188)
- Zhang, W.J., Wahl, L.M. and Yu, P. (2013) "Conditions for transient viremia in deterministic in-host models: viral blips need no exogenous trigger". SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics. Vol. 73, No. 2, pp. 853–881.
- Kember G, Armour JA, Zamir M, 2013. Neural Control Hierarchy Of The Heart Has Not Evolved To Deal With Myocardial Ischemia. Physiological Genomics 45:638-644.
- Z. Guo, F.-B. Wang and Zou, Threshold dynamics of an infective disease model with a fixed latent period and non-local infections, J. Math. Biol., 65(2012), 1387-1410.
- B. Chan and P. Yu, "Bifurcation, stability, and cluster formation of multi-strain infection models," Journal of Mathematical Biology (DOI 10.1007/s00285-012-0600-3), published online Oct. 13, 2012.
- Gifford, D.R, de Visser, J.A.G.M. and Wahl, L.M. (2012) "Model and test in a fungus of the probability that beneficial mutations survive drift", Biology Letters, doi:10.1098/rsbl.2012.0310.
- Bao, M., Wild, G. 2012. Reproductive skew can provide a net advantage in both conditional and unconditional social interactions. Theoretical Population Biology, 82, 200-208.
- B. Chan and P. Yu, "Bifurcation analysis in a model of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte response to
viralinfection," Nonlinear Analysis - B: Real World Applications, 13, 64-77, 2012.